Sunday, November 16, 2014

Fika with family in Sweden

We visited family in Sweden today, Saturday Nov 15.  Murray convinced me not to publish this post the night after the visit.  I am not sure why.  But she is generally worried I will put something ill conceived out on the internet.  But I am assuming that possibility is what might make it entertaining for others.

Eva, who is 95, is my grandmothers cousin.  Johan is her grandson.  I got lots of family stories, like my great grandfather Carl, showing back up in Södra Borby Öland unannounced after 45 years away and asking his brothers and sisters for recommendations on a good place to eat.  They didn't recognize him.

I thought it was just my father and grandfather that were in the habit of showing up at the house of relatives unannounced, but apparently the tradition goes back a long ways.  I, at least, emailed Johan before coming out.  Mona and Lillian volunteered to put together a Fika for us.  The food was excellent.  Fika has lots of sweets.  MMmmm...

Johan's wife Linn also made a great dinner last night for us with roast beef, scalloped potatoes and salad.  It was very much like what my grandmother used to make.  Johan's son Ville is 7 years old, quite entertaining, and a big fan of Pokeman of all things.



 Isaac, Eva, Johan, Shel in Öland, Södra Borby

 Johan, Ville, Linn, Isaac at Johan's house

How all of these folks are related (since I know a good chunk of the people reading this are related to these folks too).  Ellen Gene in the middle bottom is my grandmother.

 Shel, Isaac, Lillian, Mona, Eva, Johan

Roland, Shel, Eva, Johan

 Johan, Murray in the "big serious" region of Öland.

Matilda and Karl (my great, great grandparents) at the top of the family tree above.







3 comments: