Thursday, December 4, 2014

The most expensive way

In Munich I looked at the live music calendar, since music doesn't tax my limited language skills, and picked a couple of winners.  I thought about seeing Morbid Angel the first night and Warlock the second night, but, I figured I needed to move on from my heavy metal childhood.  So I went through the listings and picked Y'akoto and The Dead Brothers.

Now I could pick a night a week to find live music in Denver Boulder, and go myself, and discover new music this way at home for a lot less money.  But I don't.  I should!  This is probably the most expensive way to discover new artists, but it is certainly fun.

Y'akoto lives in Hamburg but her family is from Ghana.  Her songs were all in English.  Perhaps that made her more accessible than other West Africans I have heard, but the West African sound has been slowly growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5N-hB0Eu6A



For The Dead Brothers show, I actually got Murray to go.  We both had a great time.  It was sort of old time, scary, vaudeville music.  The percussion was just one huge kettle drum.  The guy playing mouth harp added a really cool element.  It is hard to explain the magic in the show these guys put on.  But the speakers went out during one song, and they just kept going.  The balance of the acoustic instruments without a trap kit, just worked.  It also allowed them to take their sousaphone and tambourine and banjo into the audience and play in the middle of the crowd.  I always wanted to do the Bill and Opus thing for real and play sousaphone or baritone in a rock band.  The lead guy is a real character, great story teller too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrV-mBLv17Q



Tuba and Accordion, rocking out with the fiddle player.  It isn't heavy metal, but it is some weighty brass.  Some tunes had tuba and sousaphone.  Now that is some craziness.



No comments:

Post a Comment