Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pesto by hand

We have an excellent fresh market a couple blocks from our apartment in Palma.  I decided to make pesto without thinking much about the fact we don't have a blender.  I got fresh garlic, basil, baby spinach, walnuts.  The local Mallorcan cheese, salt, pepper, and olive oil were not picked that day, but still...  it was really good.  I started mixing it in a beer stein since we are short on useful kitchen stuff, but had to move to a steel pot when I realized how much pest I was making.  I put just enough oil in to make it stick together and be a sauce rather than a minced powder.  Being so low in oil content, I probably burned as many calories chopping as I consumed eating it.  It was rustic but awesome.

We haven't been out to eat in Mallorca yet.  Our goal was to cook at home, so I have made tomato cheese sauce and pasta with cilantro, brochette, pan fried pork loin fillets, pasta and aurora sauce (tomato-cream), stir fried pork and vegetables.  It is nice having enough time to shop and cook.  But I fear the MurMonster is getting a bit to used to having someone cook all her meals.  She has been good about doing the clean up though.  As you can see the pesto effort left her a special challenge.








No smiling with teeth after 4 pm.  The world is not ready to behold the vicious purple fangs of the MurMonster.



4 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! Sure you are coming back from the beautiful Palma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Spain isn't as cheap as one would think reading about their economy.

      Delete
  2. No, it is not cheap. You can find a great deal on olives, though. Should you need one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious man! mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete