Monday, December 1, 2014

Latching On to Something

A few nights ago, I wanted to go to the Rock Opera Antigona.  The MurMonster began explaining why we should not.  It was across the river, it was dark, the trams might not run after the show and we might have to walk 25 minutes.  It could interfere with her getting to the Night Train three hours early, and on and on.

She was watching my face as she was making this compelling case for inaction.  She became rather excited at my facial expression.  She knew I must be having a feeling.  She thought she had seen this expression before and asked me to describe what was behind that expression.  The MurMonster is always deeply interested when she suspects I may be experiencing a feeling.  She is certain I should be having more of them, but more on that later.  

I struggled to find an honest description and came up with “resigned exasperation”.  I should have struggled a bit longer I suppose.  The phrase now crops up in her speech a couple of times a day.  The things people latch onto.  

No comments:

Post a Comment